Santa Gertrudis National Youth Camp
The Santa Gertrudis Breeders (Australia) Association has been running a National Youth Camp, for 30 years. It started in Toowoomba at the Show Grounds, then it moved to the Warwick Showgrounds and is now at Morgan Park Warwick.
We usually have approximately 100 youths, ranging in age from 8 to 18 years of age attending. These youths are split into groups and a Group Leader is assigned to them for the duration of the camp, to mentor them, educate them with rope tying, safety around cattle, water, feed, bedding, looking after the animal they are allocated, parading demonstrations- use of leads and they are also judged on Stud and Commercial selection.
At the end of the camp, presentations are given to:
Please complete your forms for yourself and your family members as soon as possible, and we look forward to seeing you there.
The SGBAA and its members are very interested in the Youth of Australia, and hold these camps to educate youths in learning how to lead and show stud cattle for future Agricultural shows around Australia.
Follow us on social media using the links below, and for everything Santa Gertrudis Youth related search the hashtag:
RJ Kleberg Scholarship Award
Criteria for Judging
The RJ Kleberg Scholarship Award is named after RJ Kleberg, one of the founders of the Santa Gertrudis breed.
Applicants are to be aged 18-30 Years. Applicants are to attend the Santa Gertrudis National Youth Camp, Warwick, either as a student, group leader or observer.
Judging is to be conducted discreetly to avoid competitiveness by students, ie where possible students are not to be aware that they are being judged.
Judging takes place over the duration of the camp and the winner announced by the judges on completion of the camp. Because the award honours a founder of the breed, students who have a background or involvement with beef cattle other than stud, commercial or crossbred Santa Gertrudis cattle will not be eligible for this award. Judges are advised which students are eligible at the camp.
The winner is selected on presentation and personality, dedication to the breed, love of animals, willingness to assist other camp students, popularity among peers, high energy participation in all camp events, not necessarily selected on his/her placing in parading and young judges competition. Other considerations to be taken into account include confidence and public speaking.
RJ Kleberg Youth Ambassador
The RJ Kleberg Youth Ambassador is awarded with the following:
Recipients of the RJ Kleberg Scholarship Award
|2011||Cancelled - Flood|
|2020||Cancelled - Drought/Ticks|
|2022||Cancelled - Covid-19|
Marcus Oldham Rural Leadership Program Scholarship
The Santa Gertrudis Breeders` Association of Australia (SGBAA) is pleased to announce it will be offering one scholarship position to attend the 2023 Marcus Oldham Rural Leadership Program.
The Marcus Oldham Rural Leadership Program, supported by NAB Agribusiness, is an intensive five-day workshop conducted on the college campus at Geelong. The program, which commenced in 1992, is recognised as one of the longest running rural leadership programs in the nation. It has developed a strong reputation in the agricultural and agribusiness sector, attracting support from a wide range of industry and rural community groups from diverse regional backgrounds.
The program will develop the skills and knowledge of participants to enable them to:
- undertake a leadership role in their industry or community
- competently represent their industry or community in decision-making forums
- understand and address the issues facing rural industries and rural communities.
More information about the Marcus Oldham Rural Leadership Program can be found here: Leadership – Marcus Oldham College
The 2023 course runs from Sunday 14th May to Friday 19th May.
- You must be a member of SGBAA and/or work with the Santa Gertrudis breed i.e. current Youth Camp Leader.
- Ideally, you should be aged between 25-35 years (note – older and younger candidates will be considered).
- You must be available to attend the Marcus Oldham Rural Leadership Program from Sunday 14th May to Friday 19th May 2023 and you must have spoken with your employer about this before applying.
- You must provide a written report of the Leadership Program for inclusion in the SGBAA Magazine.
- If selected, as the successful application you must agree to complete an application on the Marcus Oldham website to finalise your place in the program (including but not limited to dietary requirements, background info for their journal, etc)
SGBAA will provide:
- One scholarship position to attend the 2023 Marcus Oldham Rural Leadership Program valued at $3,300 including GST.
- Travel up to $2,000 to attend the 2023 course.
Selection criteria and process:
- One candidate will be selected for the 2023 Program.
- Selection will be made against written criteria.
- The successful applicant will be announced by mid-March 2023.
2023 Selection Committee
David Bassingthwaighte – SGBAA Councillor and Chair of the SGBAA Youth and Education Committee.
Scott Dunlop – SGBAA Councillor and graduate of Marcus Oldham College (Farm Management 1997).
Liz Allen – SGBAA Councillor and graduate of Marcus Oldham College (Agribusiness Administration 1998).